Monday, November 23, 2009

I considered quitting, says Henry

Thierry Henry thought about quitting international football following his handball in last week's World Cup play-off win over the Republic of Ireland.
The striker found himself at the centre of a huge fall-out after the incident, which helped France beat Ireland and book a place in South Africa.
And when asked if he had considered retiring amid the controversy, he told French newspaper L'Equipe: "Oh yes.
"Friday, when it all went too far, I was very worked up."
The Football Association of Ireland wrote to Fifa to ask that the match be replayed on the back of the incident, which saw Henry blatantly handle the ball before setting up William Gallas for the goal which secured a 1-1 draw and a 2-1 aggregate victory.

That request was rejected despite Henry released a statement saying a replay would be the "fairest solution".
The FAI admitted defeat over the weekend when the French Football Federation backed Fifa by stating that a replay would not be a viable option.
Henry admitted, however, that the "cheat" storm prompted him to seriously consider his future in the game - and not for the first time.
"After the 2006 World Cup, I thought about it, but it was too early," he said. "After Euro 2008, too, but it wasn't the right moment. There was a generation that needed me.
"Despite everything that has just happened and the fact that I felt let down, I will not let my country down."
The 32-year-old, who has scored a French record 51 goals from 117 internationals, criticised the FFF for their lack of support.
"The day after the match, and the day after that, I felt alone, really alone," he said. "It was only after I issued my statement that the people from the French Federation got in touch."



Post a Comment